Meatless Meatballs and Penne Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb whole grain penne pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 (10.5 oz) bag of Vegan Meatballs (I used Nate’s, which I found in my local grocery store, but Trader Joe’s has good options too)
- 1 (28 oz) can Cento crushed tomatoes (they have the lowest sodium canned tomatoes I’ve been able to find)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp each of Italian seasoning, dried basil and dried parsley
- 1 tsp each of crushed red pepper and paprika
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 heaping cup each of squash, zucchini and red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Vegan Parmesan grated cheese (optional)
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic until softened, or about 2-3 minutes.
- Add squash, zucchini, red bell pepper and mushrooms and cook until softened, or about 5 minutes. Add all spices until fragrant, or about 1 minute.
- Stir in canned pumpkin, tomatoes and almond milk. Lower heat to simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add meatless meatballs and simmer for 10 minutes (or longer, if time allows).
- Meanwhile, boil water for pasta. Follow instructions on pasta box to cook the penne.
- Serve pasta with sprinkled vegan Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.