- 4 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 T. vegan butter
- 1 1/3 c. Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 c. risotto rice, such as superfino Arborio (this is my favorite kind – no sodium!)
- 3 c. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (time-saving tip: to make it easier to peel, nuke the butternut squash in the microwave for 6 minutes and then peel and cut)
- 6 c. unsalted vegetable broth
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 c. vegan Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In skillet, over medium heat, add oil and butter, and sauté onions until tender, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Pour rice on top of onions and, with a wooden spoon, coat grains with butter and oil mixture. Turn down heat to low and occasionally stir for about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to stoneware. Add squash, cheese and broth and gently stir ingredients.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- When serving, top with basil and additional cheese if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
This recipe comes from Crock Pot Girl’s Butternut Squash Risotto.